SD Secretary of State Information
To check your voter registration status or find your polling place and sample ballot for an upcoming election, use the SD Secretary of State’s Voter Information Portal.
To register to vote in South Dakota, you must:
- Be a United States citizen (South Dakota Constitution, Article VII, Section 2)
- Reside in South Dakota (residency defined)
- Be at least 18 years old on or before the next election
- Not currently serving a sentence for a felony conviction which included imprisonment, served or suspended, in an adult penitentiary system (See additional felony information)
- Not be judged mentally incompetent by a court of law